Monday, June 28, 2010

I SURVIVED!!!

As most of you know, last night/today (whatever day it is) was my first 12 hr night shift.  I went in at 7pm on Sunday night and was leaving the hospital at 7:45am this morning.  My, how it was weird to see the sunlight getting off and seeing so much traffic coming home.  It feels odd to be ending my day when the rest of the world is starting theirs =)

Surprisingly, it went really well!  I'm still not even tired yet.  Well...a little I guess *lol*  I'm typing this from my cozy bed (sigh).  The night started out really fast.  I took 3 patients at first and trying to assess them plus get their meds passed is such a chore for me. I'm trying to work on my time management but each day, it will get better!    

The rest of the night went quickly.  I didn't sit down to eat dinner until around 1am.  With everything that needs to be done, the first half of my shift was over in no time!  At 11pm I took on my 4th patient so I'm happy to be progressing to our max goal of 6 or 7 after 11pm!

**So that means that there is no lounge time to watch TV, Dad!!!!  Silly man thinks I'm a glorified babysitter and after I get them all tucked in for bed, I can relax myself and put my feet up =)  Not the case at all!!! **

Things were quiet for about an hour.  Just enough time for me to eat, check my email, and get on facebook some (if you tell anyone, I'll lie and say I didn't).  

Then a little craziness began!  I had my one patient out of the blue start complaining of SOB (shortness of breath) but he was really just anxious about his heart catheterization that is scheduled this morning.  So, I dealt with that for a few hours and then he ended up flirting with our aid on the floor =)  Silly old men!  Another patient was up and nervous about her heart cath so I consoled her.  Lastly, another ladies PTT (clotting test) was too high b/c of her being on a Heparin drip (to prevent clots) so I had to call the Intern on call to tell them plus get an order to decrease it.  Then start it back up 1 hr later!  My 4th patient was sound asleep...thank goodness!

All in all, it was a great day!  A little easier transition to nights!  Luckily, we were full on our side so we didn't have to get any admissions!  That was helpful!  I think I'm going to like nights!

Now, I'm home in bed, showered and scaring Wesley with my hiccups.  He's shaking under our bed as I type!  Have you ever heard of a dog being afraid of hiccups?!?  He's so neurotic! 

Hope everyone enjoys their Monday!  I'm going to sleep the morning and afternoon away!  
I don't really like Monday's anyways ;)



1 comment:

Katiebee said...

Yeah!!!!! How nice it must be having that first night over with~

and Wesley....he is a quirky little man. He just makes me laugh at his sillyness!

happy napping~