Thursday, April 21, 2011

Update and Newborn Pics

We are heading into Iris's 3 week birthday (on Monday)!  It's amazing how fast time is going!!!  I want her to stay small forever!  The past 2 1/2 weeks have been a struggle but we are so thankful for a healthy and happy baby that we can snuggle and love!

Iris had her 2 week pediatric appointment on Tuesday and she is now a total of 7 lbs and 6 oz!  She has gained a whopping 1 lb and 3 oz since birth!  My baby girl is growing like a weed!

We're still struggling with breastfeeding.  I have gone back and forth from pumping and nursing.  I do supplement a little formula when it seems like she's still starving.  Iris latches on well but she will nurse for 40 minutes to over an hour and still seem starving when I pull her off the breast to be finished or to burp her.  We started pumping so we could see how much she's taking in and seems to be more satisfied but the pediatrician wants me to go back to nursing since her weight is just fine!!!  I started using a nipple shield to help with her latch and it seems to be helping =)  But at nights, I get so exhausted with her nursing for an eternity that I find myself pumping at night while Doug feeds her pumped milk just so we all can go back to sleep.  I tried nursing last night with my nipple shield and was left so exhausted b/c she would nurse for 1 hr and be back up an hour or 2 later to do it all again!

Plus today, Doug went to work for a full day (he's not going back full time until next Wednesday) so Iris and I had the whole day to ourselves.  I thought it would go well...it did not.  She screamed and fought sleep the entire day.  She finally passed out at 3:30pm and slept for 2 hrs!!!  Even this evening she fought Doug and finally after being swaddled with 2 blankets and a full belly, she is now sleeping. Poor thing is exhausted and wore herself out!  We're hoping she sleeps great tonight!!  I just wish she could tell me what was wrong or what she needs!  She was spoiled all day yesterday b/c my mom was here and held her the entire day so she slept!!!  Darn grammie for spoiling her =)

But all in all, Iris is doing well and so are we!  It's amazing to see how we progress each week and how at first things seem to be so scary or the end of the world, only to find out that it's really not that big of a deal!  The first week, her screams and cries would freak us out and we would think she was hurt or something only to know now that she's just crying to cry or to fight sleep!!!  Babies should come with a user manual or an "idiots guide to parenting."  Being a first time parent is hard but I wouldn't change it for the world!  I love my baby girl =)

Ok...now on to her newborn pics!!!  I'm so happy we went ahead and did these!  They turned out great and I love how they captured her!  I will cherish these pictures always!!!!  She'll never be this small again! *tear*

Here are a few of my favorites!  There were many taken but these are just too precious!







 











Thanks MK Photo Studios for capturing our baby girl is such beautiful and precious ways!!

6 comments:

Brittney Galloway said...

Love the newborn pictures! I also love that are girls are only 24 hours apart in age :) I know just what you are going through! Just wondering if you've tried a pacifier with her? Maybe (since her weight is fine,) she's not hungry, just having the sucking reflex/urge? Just a thought- we figured that out with our Grace a couple of days ago, and though I'm not really for a pacifier, it helps to soothe and calm her in between those long feedings.

Mama B said...

OMG, those pictures are absolutely precious!! She's beautiful!

And, ditto to what Brittney said about the binky. Isabella LOVES to suck, so when she's done eating, I usually have to give her a pacifier or else she'd end up hanging out on my boob all day long! lol And, for what it's worth...when Bella was super tiny (the first 2 weeks or so), she was eating just like Iris. Each feeding was at least 45min to an hour long, and then she'd be again in another hour or so to do it all over. I promise though, it DOES get easier, and she'll start sleeping more soon! Good luck, hun...you're doing great!

Dana said...

Those are the most precious photos!!! Yes it's hard to know what is wrong with those babes sometimes. It would be so nice if they did come with a users manual. Just know that it will eventually get better!!

dave and jenn said...

So sweet! She is adorable!

Nicole J said...

The pictures are amazing! I can't wait to have the Little Man here to do them.

As for the breastfeeding don't give up. You can do it! How is the pumping going? I only ask because I plan on trying to breastfeed as well and I'm trying to feel out how it's going through other first time mom's experiences.

Mrs. Lopez said...

Love the pics! She is too cute!