Tuesday was my first day on the floor and my goal was to take up to 6 patients. I was doing great trying to get my assessments done and get everyone their meds and ready for bed until midnight. I was admitting a person at the same time a "code blue" was happening. (not my patient...thankfully!) but my preceptor sent me to the room (it was on OUR FLOOR!!! yikes) so I could get experience with codes. He was an older gentleman and we tried for over 45 minutes to save him. There were so many Dr's, residents, nurses, respiratory therapists all crammed in the room! We are lucky to have all private rooms on our floor!!! I just stood with the nurse manager and was running to get some of the equipment while they were doing all the lifesaving measures. I was watching the nurses do their job and learning how to run the code! Fun but scary at the same time!
We kept saving him and then he would go back into a deadly rhythm and eventually after 45 minutes, we called his family and stopped! That was hard to see us stop but at the same time, it was hard to keep harming his body with every needlestick, chest pump, and shock. So, I helped clean him up for his family.
After that the night just spiraled out of control *lol* I couldn't keep up with everything. I had some "needy" patients and was having trouble controlling their pain. But I did my best. Amanda (my preceptor) and I got out 45 minutes later. I got home and finally went to bed around 10:30am and had to be back at 7pm that same night! So, I just gave myself a pep talk and was determined to have a better night and I did!!!!
I was on top of it all and was finished with everything and ready for the next shift to take over at 7am this morning!!! My preceptor was so proud of how I handled all 6 patients and was ahead of the game all night!
So, tonight I'm going in at 11pm until 7:30am. We'll see if I can manage everything that I have to do normally in 12 hrs in 8! haha Luckily, by the time I get there, all the meds are passed so I'll probably just take a few admissions and pray that the night goes well!
I have 3 more weeks left of orientation! They extended it a bit since some of those weeks in the beginning I was in a classroom training instead of on the floor!



2 comments:
What a day you had!
What a day you had!
Post a Comment